Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas Parade

Sunday was our wonderful Christmas Parades in Downtown Summerville and Mount Pleasant. I love these events. The excitement of the kids, the parade attendees and watchers and the vendors selling stuff. The Summerville Parade began at 2pm and we arrived at 1pm. Got our same spot as years gone by and this year we remembered the chairs. LOL. The children were given cookies by a local church and we even remembered the cooler. No walking to McD's this year, good thing since it is closed at this time for rebuilding. The warning of the parade starting is a canyon being fired. Then the excitement begins. The first out are our wonderful men in blue on bikes. They did a great job. Next we have all our wonderful town people including the Mayor in convertibles. Next is the school bands then the floats begin. The boy scouts are giving out candy, the reason my kids attend, LOL, pencils are given by schools and then we have the "fight". Yes I mean fight and it was not in the parade it was my children. A nice young girl from a church float hands my middle child a skateboard toy, u know one of those tech dek toys, well my oldest freaks out trying to steal it from him. Thus the fighting begins we are talking punching, kicking and screaming. I had to jump out of my chair, grab my oldest, proceed to the empty spot way behind us and yell at him. Then I had to go back and take the toy away, boy was I really angry, I missed floats over this toy. Then my oldest begins I am mad at mom and throws every Candy Cane given him at me. Most hitting me in the face and stomach with great laughs on his part. He is 12, which is really sad. Now back to the parade, I love the News Crews and all the cool Jeeps and Golf Carts. The Confederates shot off guns in front of us, at us and behind us and I jumped every time. LOL. The end of the parade was Santa on the fire truck. Then we rush to pack up, race to the car and drive to Mount Pleasant, about 30 minutes away. This is 3:25pm. We arrive on Coleman Blvd at 3:55pm to signs stating the road closes at 4pm for the parade. Boy were we lucky. We park the car, eat at our favorite restaurant, Iacofano Deli, they sell great pizza, then we set up our chairs and waited for the big parade that is lighted. It begins at 5:45pm. There are even tailgaters at this parade. They go all out some even have RV's. The beginning of this parade is the fireworks. Yes fireworks, it is better than the Fourth of July. They lasted 25 minutes and were spectacular. Then the chorus from a school sang Christmas Songs as we waited for the parade to get to us. We are at the middle of the parade. Then the cheers that the floats are coming. This parade had 138 floats. It is two hours and terrific. The tractor trailers are decorated great, the cars had more lights on them then I had ever seen, some had generators running the lights and we had candy canes galore, none hit me Thank God. LOL. The hillbillies brought out the old cars, even Granny from the Beverly Hillbillies, was riding her rocking chair behind Jethro and his wife, LOL, they were so cool. We had bikes, dancers, gymnastic routines and some of the same ones as the Summerville Parade, but with lights on them. This parade also ends with Santa on the fire truck. So sad to see them end. I love a good parade and now we have to wait until next year, but you can bet we will be there and hopefully with the same friends as this year. Thank you to all who attended this event with us. We had a wonderful day. You know who you are.

No comments: